It’s hard to believe that Thanskgiving is only a week away! It’s the most traveled holiday of the entire year. That means lots of granparents, aunts, uncles, neices and nephews, grandkids, sons and daughters, college pals, and friends coming or going. Whether you are deciding this year to have a “stay-cation” or everyone’s descending on your house for the big meal, the long weekend is something to look forward to.
With many hours to fill, after the last dish is put away, why not come to the Houston Zoo? Think about it – it’s a nice way to walk off a little pie, dissapate the kids extra energy, or to take a break from all the hubub and restore yourself.
Just a few of the almost infinite possibilities that await you:
* Visit the turkeys in the deer habitat at the Children’s Zoo
* Take a family pic for the holiday card in front of your favorite animal — or perhaps in front of one of the many sculptures or gardens throughout the Zoo?
* Guarantee a smile when seeing our baby Asian elephants Tupelo and Baylor
* Find tranquility and perfect temperatures in the Tropical Bird House Rainforest – or by just sitting by our reflection pool and watching the leaves dancing on the water’s surface
* Ride the carousel, whether you’re a kid or a kid at heart
* See if the Springhaas is up from his nap in Natural Encounters
* Check out our giraffe family in their fantastic new home
* Visit Liberty, our awesome bald eagle, and get a little misty-eyed for all this great bird represents
* Get everyone giggling as you enjoy the bouncy habits of our sifakas in the Wortham World of Primates!
* How about a bat-feeding, a sea lion show or an elephant bath? Catch a Keeper Talk or three: schedules listing over 30 different offerings each day can be found on our website, the iPhone App, our mobile site or on any of our three Kiosks on grounds.
Using these tools you can custom-plan your visit or, just come by and let the moment take you wherever your heart (and feet) wants to go.
For your convenience, there are strollers, pull carts, motorized scooters and wheelchairs available for rent right at the front gate.
Our Free Day schedule has changed, so please be sure to check here for details:
We’ll be here from 9 AM to 6 PM all the way through your holiday, including Thanksgiving Day itself, and hope that a visit might just be the perfect thing.